Walking away from a project and coming back about a month later is a great way to test the user-friendliness / accessibility of a solution! I must have forgotten … nearly everything … about how I set this blog up. … When I went to make an update, I even started out in the wrong place!

So here are the gotcha’s that became apparent to me as I tried to break back into blogging.

Gotcha #1

The short cut that includes a custom Vagrantfile meant to encapsulate my custom script for executing Jekyll inside of docker inside of Vagrant … leaves the git repo for phusion’s baseimage-docker in a mixed state:

➔ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

        modified:   Vagrantfile

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

        data/
        exec-jekyll.sh

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

personal/phusion-jekyll/baseimage-docker on master [!?]

While this looks like something was left incomplete, it’s not. I might revisit this in the future.

Gotcha #2

vagrant up is not the only thing that needs to be executed to get jekyll going. vagrant up by itself really only sets up phusion’s baseimage. When it runs, it prints out this ( somewhat confusing ) message:

==> default: Machine already provisioned. Run `vagrant provision` or use the `--provision`
==> default: flag to force provisioning. Provisioners marked to run always will still run.

One might wonder: why run vagrant provision when the message just said that the machine is already provisioned. In fact, running vagrant provision is exactly the the thing needed to kick off my custom script ( which kicks off jekyll - within Vagrant )

➔ vagrant provision
==> default: Running provisioner: shell...
    default: Running: /var/folders/9s/320v29913qs9j6kzxnqv7smclw01rh/T/vagrant-shell20160416-8
3777-1t0dsij.sh
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: jekyll_runtime
==> default: jekyll_runtime
==> default: Running Jekyll!
==> default: Github does not allow user dependencies.
==> default: Configuration file: /srv/jekyll/_config.yml
==> default:             Source: /srv/jekyll
==> default:        Destination: /srv/jekyll/_site
==> default:       Generating...
==> default:                     done.

So, two gotcha’s later, and I’m back in business. As far as ramping back up on cold projects goes, that’s not too bad.